Sunday, March 20, 2011

Fractions of Effort, Dictate 5 times faster than Typing

Summary:
What normally takes me 10 minutes to Write a Draft, I can do in under 2 minutes by Dictating. Such a 500% gain makes likely that More Drafts will be Written.


We all have Good Ideas. I record many of mine using the Least Effort available. 


Manual Draft Writing with 1/2 the Effort; use your Short-hand


When all I have is paper and pen, I wr ung the lest chrs prctcl 2 b sure I cn expand later. Such personal short hand writing I call 3Code, because almost all words can be accurately guessed at when the context is considered. Such Least Characters Writing can increase Manual Writing Productivity by perhaps 50%. Even in the dark and while driving, I can reach out and write. 


Writing a draft by Typing or with Dictation. 1/5 is the Fraction of Effort, a 5 times Productivity Gain. 


I like Innovative Marketing. A $5.00 Burger King card from Verizon arrived in the Mail. I was not near a PC or input device. Should I mention it to those who follow me?


Twitter Only? or a full Blog Article?


With only a PC, or keyboard equipped mobile device, I would use typing and Twitter. (I do so using Seismic.com). 140 characters is all I would normally generate.


The effort to type a 1/2 page to 1 page blog entry would likely take about 10 minutes. Consider such Typing to Write a Draft an Effort of 100%, with the example at 10 minutes. 
If I only had pen and paper and wrote out words in full then that 3/4 page Draft would take me about 20 or 25 minutes, 200%.


Effort at 15% to 20%, an 80%+ reduction to Under 2 Minutes is what I achieve. 


How? I Dictate into WordPad or Open Office, or Email. 


Dragon Naturally Speaking gives me 98% to 99% accuracy. I dictate with a cadence with pauses after every 3 or 4 words. Often, I do not even watch as it types. I just talk. Therefore, such a 500% Gain in Draft Writing Productivity would also be Available to me Everywhere if I had a compatible Recorder or mobile device.




Productivity Techniques including Dictation can have a large impact. More gets done when the related effort goes down. Bill Gates was one of the early writers about reducing friction in commerce. Friction in Personal Productivity is related, the broad theme where Dictation and 3Code are Examples.


Reducing the Effort for your Potential Customer increases Results. 


- When a Retail web site adds Live Chat on every page, rather than only the home page, the number of chat sessions increases. 
- When you prominently display an 800 number, many will phone. If you display it only in the Contacts page, few will call.
- Embed your Video on the page and the number of plays will increase compared to use of a link to a separate page.


What Productivity Techniques do you use?


BruceLynch

No comments:

Post a Comment